Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Home

     With being sick all last week the only thing I wanted to do was go home. So I did. Friday morning I got in the car with some friends and we headed back to Mechanicsville, VA for the weekend. When I walked through the door my dog came running to me jumping and going crazy. I was practically in tears because I missed her so much and it was the sense of relief of actually being home for the first time since moving to Tech. When I went into the living room I couldn't help but be observant and just soak everything in around me and feel the normality of it all. It felt so good to be home. I had been missing it for a long time. 
     Back in high school my mom would always come home from work to me in the living room listening to music, doing homework, napping, or watching TV. So, when I was home last friday I made sure I was on the couch when she got home from work because I knew she would know I would be there. She came through the door and immediately walked into the living room with a huge smile on her face. My dog, who was snuggled up with me, started going crazy again. Everything around me felt so normal to me like I never left in the first place. 
     Now, sleeping in my own bed again was such a luxury. I never wanted to leave it or get up in the morning just because I didn't want it to end. Just being home felt so strange because I am so use to my dorm room and now I am back in my home that I grew up in and know so well. 
     Sunday rolled around and I woke up feeling sad because I knew that I had to come back to Tech that day. I packed up and went to my friends house to load up the car and get on the road. We were all gathered around talking outside while loading up the car with mine and two other peoples stuff. I started to get teary eyed because it was my first time leaving home to go to Tech after moving in. Of course my mom sees me and loses it which makes me cry more. I just had to get in the car and leave. We all said our goodbyes and we were off. The beginning of the car ride was rough but once we got closer to Tech it got a little easier. I settled myself back into my dorm and my suite mates were in and out of my room talking to me and joking around. It made unpacking my bag that much easier. 
     I know that leaving home is never easy. I also know that it will start to get easier and easier as I grow up. I don't have my parents around anymore to nag me or love on me anymore, but I do have my friends and brother here to make it feel more like my new home.

1 comment:

  1. I went home last weekend too! It was so nice to sleep in my own room and just spend time with my family and pets! I do agree with your last paragraph, I think that itll get a lot easier.

    ReplyDelete